Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Free school meals and school clothing grants - primary and secondary

If your child is in P1 to P3

Free School Meals are offered to ALL pupils in P1 - P3 without the need for parents/carers to submit an application form. However, an application form must be completed if you also require a school clothing grant for your child in P1-P3.

Don't forget to submit an application form for Free School Meals for your child when he/she moves into P4 as they will no longer be automatically entitled to Free School Meals.

For further information, please view the icon free school meals flyer for parents [386Kb].

If your child is P4 or above

You can claim free school meals and a school clothing grant for your child(ren) if you are receiving:

  • Income Support (IS)
  • Income based Job Seeker's Allowance (IBJSA)
  • Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC), but not Working Tax Credit, and your income is less than £16,105.
  • Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income of up to £7,330
  • If you are between 16 and 18 years old and receive any of these benefits in your own right, you can claim free school meals for yourself.
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit where the monthly earned income does not exceed £610

Parents/Carers in receipt of a qualifying benefit will receive £100 per child in Primary and Secondary School.

Please note assistance with school clothing/footwear is not awarded to nursery pupils.  Children over 16 who are eligible to apply for an Education Maintenance Allowance will NOT be entitled to a clothing grant.

For more information on Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit visit the Inland Revenue website.

How do I apply for free school meals and a school clothing grant?

Applications for the school session 2020/2021 starting August 2020 are now open.

Apply online

Alternatively, application forms are available from any Perth & Kinross Council school or from Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth.

Supporting evidence from Jobcentre Plus must be dated within 6 weeks of the date of your claim and Tax Credit Award Notices (TC602) must relate to financial year 2020/2021.

A photograph of your evidence taken from your smart phone is acceptable.

If you submit an application form for the start of session 2020/2021 and have not received a response by Tuesday 4 August 2020, please contact the Schools Division using the below contact details.

Free School Meal direct payments - Easter 2021 holiday

Following the previous decision to continue direct payments for free school meals during the summer and winter holiday period, the Council has agreed that these payments will continue to be provided over the Easter holiday period for those families entitled to free school meals who receive a qualifying benefit.  These payments will be made from 1 April 2021.

If you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit (listed above), your child currently receives free school meals, and you received a school clothing grant over the summer holiday period, you do not need to contact us - a payment will be made automatically to you.  Education and Children's Services will contact parents directly where bank account details are not currently held.   If you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit for free school meals but did not receive a school clothing grant, please contact us at

Spring hardship payment for low income families

Along with the free school meal direct payments, families who qualify for these payments will also receive £100 per child from the Scottish Government to support them through the spring months. 

These payments will also be made by the Council from 1 April 2021.

There will be no restrictions on how families choose to spend this additional payment. This payment can be disregarded for the purposes of benefits income.

Contact details

Schools Division

2 High Street, Perth, PH1 5PH
Tel 01738 476200