Mobile navigation

Pest control

Perth & Kinross Council does not provide a pest control service but currently contracts out certain work to a local Pest Control Company.

What we can do

  • We can arrange a survey to establish existence of rats/mice.  If rats/mice activity is believed to be coming from a neighbouring property, public land or from council land we can confirm that any infestations found are dealt with by the (property) landowner.   
  • We can give advice for taking appropriate measures to eradicate rats/mice for private property owners wishing to address pest problems. 
  • We can give advice for proofing of buildings against pigeon/gulls. 
  • We can give advice for who to contact should you require assistance with a honey bee hive/swarm.  
  • We can give advice about wasp nests and other common pest species.

What we can't do

We will not investigate any complaints of rats that are from Council Housing or Housing Association tenants. Please report to your Housing Association or in the case of Council Housing report online by using MyPKC, email or by calling Housing Repairs on 01738 476000.

Perth & Kinross Council will not carry out any treatment or preventative measure for the following:

  • Rats
  • Mice
  • Birds (including pigeons and gulls)
  • Wasps/Bees
  • Bedbugs
  • Cockroaches
  • Any other pest species

Treatment and/or prevention of any pest species remains the responsibility of the property/landowner.

We cannot control the population of gulls due their protected species status. The licensing body that is involved in gull control is Naturescot. Perth & Kinross Council have not presently adopted deterrent programs around Perth city centre for gulls/pigeons. 

Information and identification of common pests

Last modified on 30 June 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon