Mobile navigation

Vacant Property Development

We can provide advice to owners on how to sell, rent, repair or convert properties to another use.

Services we offer

Our focus is on advice and support for owners who want to do something with their empty property: providing information about the range of options available to help owners select the solution that is right for them. We also look at what can be done about problematic properties, and those where the owner has no intention of returning a property to use.

Your options

There is a range of options for vacant properties, like:

  • letting it out
  • living in it yourself
  • selling

The team can also advise on the availability of grants and other financial incentives for bringing empty properties back into use. We can also give advice on common repairs to owners of flats. 

Current available grants

Adapt Your Property Fund

As part of its ongoing focus to improve the appeal, performance and economic success of city and town centres, the Council has set up a grant fund to assist business and property owners to upgrade and repurpose vacant commercial properties in order to bring them back into use as commercial, community or residential premises to help implement sustainable economic growth.

Property owners or tenants can apply for grant assistance of up to 50% of the cost of the project to a maximum of £75,000. 

Priority for support will be given to projects which demonstrate how they will enhance/contribute to:

  • local economy and business
  • local placemaking and townscape
  • delivering wider community benefit

View the Adapt Your Property Fund Guidance for 2024 to 2025.

The next deadline for submissions is Friday 28 June 2024 at midday. 

Apply online to the Adapt Your Property Fund

If you have any queries, email

Vacant Property Feasibility Grant

As part of its ongoing focus to encourage vacant properties to be brought back into use for economic and socially productive purposes, the Council has set up a grant fund to assist business and property owners, and prospective owners and tenants to undertake feasibility studies to develop sustainable future uses which re-purpose vacant commercial properties.

Applications can be made for up to 50% of professional fees incurred whilst undertaking a feasibility study reviewing potential for a vacant property being brought back into use. Grants to up to £3,000 for individual projects and up to £5,000 for larger projects are available.

View the Vacant Property Feasibility Grant Guidance for 2024 to 2025.

Apply online for the Vacant Property Feasibility Grant 

If you have any queries or to submit your application, email

Perth City Heritage Fund

This fund is administered by Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust and can assist with funding for projects involving repairs to the fabric of buildings in the central Perth conservation areas. More information and application details can be found on the Perth City Heritage Fund web page.

More information

For more information, please email

Last modified on 07 May 2024

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon