Chargeable garden waste collection service

From 1 April 2018, householders who wish to recycle their garden waste in their brown bins will require a Garden Waste Permit

The Council will be introducing an annual charge of £25 per bin for the collection of household garden waste from brown bins. Food waste will continue to be collected from households through the brown bins free of charge.

What happens next?

All householders currently on the brown bin service will be written to in January 2018. The letter will include information on how to arrange for a Garden Waste Permit.

Why is the Council introducing a charge?

When the Garden Waste Service was first introduced to householders in the late 1990s it was a chargeable service, it was not until 2004 due to funding through the Scottish Executives Strategic Waste Fund that the service was able to be expanded and be offered free of charge to the majority of Perth and Kinross residents. 

In the current economic climate Councils must make difficult financial decisions. It was agreed through the Councils budget setting process at full Council on 22 February 2017 that a chargeable garden waste service will be re-introduced in Perth and Kinross from 1 April 2018. It was agreed to charge £25 for the uplift of garden waste from households currently on the brown bin service.

Not all householders in Perth and Kinross have access to the Garden & Food Waste Uplift Service due to the costs associated with operating the service over such a large geographical area.  The chargeable garden waste service will only be available to households who receive a brown lidded bin service.

Charging for the collection of garden waste is common practice in England and Wales, with a number of neighbouring Scottish local authorities having recently introduced or are now planning as part of recent budget setting to introduce charges.

What do I do with my garden waste if I do not sign up to the permit?

Householders will be able to dispose of their garden waste at their local  Recycling Centre free of charge. You can locate your nearest Recycling Centre using the 'find my nearest' search.

Another way to dispose of garden waste is to compost at home. If your garden suits composting, and you would like to try, we have lots of information on our  home composting pages to get you started.

Contact details

Waste and recycling

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476476