Mobile navigation

Older persons' housing

Specific properties which are specifically designed for people who may find it difficult to live independently at home.

Applying for older persons' housing

The process of applying for older persons' housing is the same as applying for Council Housing.

Types of housing for older people

In order to ensure that there is suitable housing available in Perth and Kinross for older people with different levels of care needs, a continual review process will be carried out by the Council.

We have produced a Housing Options for Older People booklet (PDF) [1MB]  to provide information on the types of housing available for older people in Perth and Kinross, which also contains useful advice about moving home and the range of support services available to older people in their homes. We can supply you with a hard copy of the booklet if you would like one.

The different housing types are described below:

Sheltered housing

Applicants must:

  • be 60 years of age or older; and
  • have an assessed need for housing with on site housing support.

Residents are liable for a weekly housing support charge, which funds regular updates of their housing support plan and a 24 hour a day, 365 day a year emergency mobile response service.
Priority for vacancies in Sheltered Housing will be given to applicants who, without the on site housing support provided, would need to be admitted in to a care home.

Retirement housing

Applicants must:

  • be 60 years of age or older; and
  • have an assessed need for more manageable accommodation with security.

Residents are liable for a service charge, which funds on site weekday Housing Management Services such as alarm system testing; safety, security and maintenance of building and communal areas; point of contact and helping with on site social activities.

Amenity housing

Applicants must:

  • be 50 years of age or over; and
  • benefit from housing which is designed for older people through the provision of a community alarm.

There is no on site housing management or support dedicated to Amenity Housing.

Mainstream housing

Properties identified in the Sheltered Housing Review for conversion to Mainstream Housing will be allocated in future through the normal Housing Allocations process where age isn't a main factor. However, we are committed to ensuring that as long as there are former Sheltered Housing tenants living in these properties we will allocate neighbouring vacancies sensitively.

In addition to Council properties, several Housing Associations in Perth and Kinross offer sheltered housing for rent or shared ownership.

Customer Approved Logo

Last modified on 01 June 2021

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon