Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Marriage legal requirements

Your ceremony can either be a civil, religious or belief marriage. A civil ceremony must be performed by an authorised Registrar or Assistant Registrar who has been specifically appointed by the Registrar General.

Giving Notice of your Marriage

Both of you must complete and submit Marriage Notice forms, along with the required documents and appropriate fees, to the Registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place. Click the link for to access contact details for all our Registration offices in Perth and Kinross. The signing of the Marriage Notice is, in effect, a declaration that the particulars and information given on the Notice are correct.

You can download two marriage notices form and a witness detail form from the National Records of Scotland.  The Notices must be submitted early enough to enable the Registrar to ensure that you are both free to marry each other.  Normally, Notices should be submitted to the Registrar about twelve weeks before the date of marriage.  The minimum period is 28 clear days before the date of your marriage.

Only in exceptional circumstances will the Registrar General authorise a marriage to take place if 28 clear days' notice has not been given.

Marriage Notice forms are valid for 3 months from the date they are received.

It is not necessary for both of you to attend personally at the Registrar's office to submit Marriage Notices, but at least one of you must contact the Registrar before the date of the marriage to finalise arrangements and any further information required before the marriage can proceed.

Documents to be produced when submitting Marriage Notices

  • Birth Certificate of each party.
  • A valid passport or other document to provide evidence of your nationality.
  • A utility bill dated within the last three months or a valid drivers license to provide evidence of your address.
  • If either of you are widowed - the death certificate of former spouse.
  • If either of you was previously married and the marriage was terminated by divorce or annulment, a certified copy decree.  A decree of divorce granted outwith Scotland must be absolute and final, a decree nisi is not acceptable.
  • For divorces from some countries a foreign divorce questionnaire may be required.
  • If you are not British you may need to provide a certificate of no impediment to marriage issued by a competent authority in your home country stating that you are free to marry.
  • If you are not British, Swiss or an EEA national you must also complete and submit an Immigration Status Declaration Form.  This document and supporting evidence must be submitted along with your notice forms, your paperwork will not be accepted without it.
  • Any documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified translation in English.
  • Please ensure you provide the appropriate Marriage and civil partnership fees.

If you are subject to immigration controls please visit for further information.

The Marriage Schedule

The Marriage Schedule is a very important document.  It is, in effect, authority for the marriage to go ahead, and no marriage can proceed without it.  When the Registrar is satisfied that there is no legal impediment to the marriage, a Marriage Schedule will be prepared.

If the marriage is a civil ceremony, the Registrar will have the Schedule at the marriage ceremony for signature.

If a religious or belief marriage, one of the parties to the marriage must call at the Registration Office within seven days of the marriage to collect the Schedule, as it cannot be given to anyone other than the bride and groom.  The signed schedule must be returned to the Registration Office within 3 days of the ceremony.

After the marriage ceremony, the Registrar will register the marriage and produce a marriage certificate which will be sent to you.

For further information please contact the Registration Service in Perth on 01738 475121 or by email at