Mobile navigation

Cinema licence

Any business or community group intending to exhibit a film must apply for a licence.

Any public performance of a film exhibition is controlled under the Cinemas Act 1985.

The Act does not just apply to cinema premises but also includes exhibitions produced by video equipment such as video juke boxes in pubs and video screens in nightclubs.

Prior to licensing, premises are inspected by the Fire and Rescue Service and the Council's Building Standards and  Environmental Health Services. The Police are also consulted.

Films can normally only be shown if the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has awarded a certificate. These range from "U" which means universal and can be seen by anyone, to "18" which means that only persons who are 18 and over can be admitted to see a particular film.

The Council has the power to act as a local censor and give permission for a film to be shown which has not been granted a certificate by the BBFC. The Council also has powers to prohibit the exhibition of a film even though a certificate has been granted, or alter the BBFC certification from, for example a "PG" to a "12".

Applying for a licence

To make an application for a cinema licence, download an application from the options listed below and return to Perth & Kinross Council, The Environment Service, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth  PH1 5GD.  You must include the application fee at the same time the application is made.  The fee from 1 April 2023 is £66.00.

Application for a cinema licence (Word doc) [208KB]

For help and information with applications, contact the Food, Health & Safety Team on 01738 476476 or email

Last modified on 05 July 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon