Mobile navigation

Alcohol and drugs

Drug & Alcohol Team

The Team works to support people who are using drugs and/or alcohol to make positive changes to their lives and to reduce harm caused by drug and/or alcohol use. For more information see their advice and support leaflet (PDF) [440KB] .

Our work

We provide support, advice and guidance to:

  • people with problem drug or alcohol use,
  • people who are homeless,
  • people who are leaving prison,
  • people who have been diagnosed with a blood borne virus,
  • people who care for and/or are affected by someone's drug, alcohol use, blood borne virus through our carers support service (PDF) [289KB] .

The service welcome pack (PDF) [1MB] gives more information about the service. 

Who can access the service?

Our service is available to residents of Perth and Kinross who are over 16 and can include:

  • an individual assessment;
  • a personal care plan we agree with you;
  • advice and information;
  • emotional and practical support;
  • counselling;
  • finding new ways to cope;
  • group support or one to one sessions;
  • learning life skills;
  • access to complementary therapies;
  • information about drugs and/or alcohol.

Frequently asked questions

How can someone access the service?

This is an open access service, so anyone can refer or be referred to it. Some people come themselves, others are sent to us by professionals such as the Council's Early Intervention and Prevention Team, GPs and other doctors, community mental health teams, social work services, criminal justice services, prison services, voluntary agencies, children's services, homeless and housing services, or support workers.

Can I refer a friend or a member of my family?

Yes, but only if that person agrees to that and they wish to address their drug or alcohol use. You can also contact us so that we can put you in touch with services which will help and support you as a carer or relative of someone with a drug/alcohol issue.

How can I contact the service?

You can contact us directly by telephone on 01738 564261, email: or at the Drug & Alcohol Team, Drumhar Health Centre, Drumhar Court, Perth PH1 5PD.

You can also get in touch with us through any social work office or by contacting the Early Intervention and Prevention Team on 0345 30 111 20 or by email at

Who can I contact if I need help outside office hours or in a crisis?

NHS 24Professional 'out of hours' health and medical advice.111NHS24
Out of hours social workCouncil-run social work assistance where there are concerns about child protection, adult support and protection or mental health.0345 30 111 20Perth & Kinross Council
Tayside PoliceTo report a crime or community safety concern.101 (non-emergency number. Only call 999 in an emergency)Police Scotland
SamaritansConfidential emotional support for people feeling depressed or suicidal.01738 626666Samaritans
Breathing SpaceListening, information and advice when you are feeling down.0800 83 85 87Breathing Space Scotland
HomelessnessContact the Council's Emergency Homeless Service at night/weekendsFreephone 0800 917 0708Homelessness pages


Do I have to come to a Council office to meet with a worker?

No. If necessary, we can also visit you at home.

Will information be passed to other agencies?

This is a confidential service, however it may help us to help you if we can share information with other agencies, but we will not do this without your permission.

The only exceptions to these are cases where either you, or someone else, would be at risk of harm if confidentiality was maintained, for example:

  • if you have threatened to, or seem likely to, cause serious harm to yourself or someone else;
  • a child is suffering or being put at risk;
  • there is a court order or a request from Criminal Justice Services;
  • where there is a legal obligation to disclose information, ie when there are suspicions of drug or people trafficking, or terrorism;
  • a medical emergency where information will be given to ambulance or hospital staff to save you;
  • where your behaviour has resulted in contact with the police, ie information about committed or planned serious crimes.


Is the Drug and Alcohol Team a prescribing service?


Do I have to stop using drugs or alcohol to get help?

No. The Team will support everyone in their individual drug/alcohol use goals, be it stabilisation, reduction or abstinence.

Last modified on 23 August 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon