Mobile navigation

Free school meals and school clothing grants - primary and secondary


If your child is in P1 to P5

Free School Meals are offered to ALL pupils in P1 - P5 without the need for parents/carers to submit an application form. However, an application form must be completed if you also require a school clothing grant for your child in P1-P5.

Don't forget to submit an application form for Free School Meals for your child when he/she moves into P6 as they will no longer be automatically entitled to Free School Meals.

If your child is P6 or above

You can claim free school meals and a school clothing grant for your child(ren) if you are receiving:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, with an income of less than £18,725
  • Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income of up to £8,717
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit with a monthly earned income of not more than £726
  • If you are between 16 and 18 years old and receive any of these benefits in your own right, you can claim free school meals for yourself.

Parents/Carers in receipt of a qualifying benefit will receive an annual school clothing grant of £126 per child in primary school and £157.50 per child in secondary school.

Please note assistance with school clothing/footwear is not awarded to nursery pupils.  Children over 16 who are eligible to apply for an Education Maintenance Allowance will NOT be entitled to a clothing grant.

For more information on Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit visit the Inland Revenue website.

How do I apply for free school meals and a school clothing grant?

Applications for free school meals and assistance with school clothing/footwear for school session 2022/23 are now open.

Apply online

Alternatively, application forms are available from any Perth & Kinross Council school or from Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth.

Supporting evidence from Jobcentre Plus must be dated within 6 weeks of the date of your claim and Tax Credit Award Notices (TC602) and must relate to financial year 2022/2023. Universal Credit statements must relate to your most recent or upcoming payment.

A photograph or screenshot of your evidence taken from your smart phone is acceptable.

In order to avoid delays please check that all information requested is included with your application.  This will assist us to complete processing procedures before school commences in August. 

Please note however that applications received after 1 August 2022 may not be processed in time for the start of the new school term.

Claims for free school meals cannot be backdated and entitlement will start from the date valid applications are approved by Education and Children Services.

Any parents/carers who would like further information about this or school meals in general should please contact the ECS Catering Support team at

Last modified on 21 April 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon