What are the reasons for a child or young person not disclosing Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE)?
The reasons why a child or young person may not disclose CSE are both many and complex. In many cases they do not recognise that they are a victim of CSE.
The following is a list of reasons why children and young people do not always disclose CSE:
- Fear that perceived benefits of exploitation may outweigh the risks e.g. loss of or supply of alcohol; drugs; the relationship and associated love and attention
- Fear of retribution on self or family or that situation could get worse
- Fear of violence within exploitative relationship;
- Fear of not being believed
- Fear of labelling e.g. being a prostitute or being gay
- Fear of separation from family and/or threat of being placed in secure accommodation
- Loss of control; fear of Police involvement and court proceedings
- Don't recognise they are being exploited