Mobile navigation

Starting a job

Find out what support may be available to you when you get a job.

Some benefits stop if you go back to work, work more hours or earn more money.

Job Start Payment

If you are a young person who's been out of work, are on certain benefits, have been offered a job and meet the other eligibility requirements you can apply for the Job Start Payment.

The Job Start Payment is a one-off payment of of £294.70, or £471.50 if you're the main carer of any children.

You can upload evidence in support of your application to Social Security Scotland.

The Flexible Support Fund

The Flexible Support Fund is available to people who are in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance or Universal Credit who are looking for work.

The Fund can be used to cover the cost of travel to interview, clothes for interview and other items/costs that may be associated with the cost of finding and securing work.

Applications to the Fund must be made via your Work Coach or you can enquire about the Fund via your UC Journal.

Access to Work

If you have a disability or health condition, you may be able to get an Access to Work grant to help pay for practical support for you to do a new or existing job. 

Extended Payment of Housing Benefit

You could get an extra 4 weeks of Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you go back to work, work more hours or earn more money.  This is called Extended Payment of Housing Benefit.

You don't have to claim - your council will decide if you're eligible for help and write and let you know.

National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates

Make sure that you are receiving the correct rate of pay by checking out the National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates

Last modified on 03 April 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon