Mobile navigation

Complaints about benefits

If you are unhappy with the service you receive in relation to your benefits you may want to consider making a complaint.

If you have been turned down for benefit or received a decision you are not happy with, you may be able to challenge the decision through the mandatory reconsideration or re-determination process and/or through an appeal.

If you are not happy about the service you have received including how you have been treated, mistakes that have been made, unreasonable delays or not being kept informed you can make a complaint.

You can complain about the service you get from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or from an organisation that provides its services.  The DWP can be contacted by phone or if your complaint is about Universal Credit it can be made online.

There is a similar process for complaints about Tax Credits.

You can complain about Social Security Scotland by phone or post.

To complain about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction, you would contact the Council.

Last modified on 14 December 2022

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon