Donate reusable items
Access this section for details of the network of charity shops and community reuse projects operating across Perth and Kinross plus details of online exchange networks.
Network of charity shops & reuse projects
The Network tries to help share best practice in the reuse sector and, as new opportunities arise, help the sector to grow. Find out about the main projects undertaken by the Network:
Our Charity and Reuse Projects Map [641Kb] provides detailed information about charity shops and reuse projects across Perth and Kinross (last updated February 2015).
Our Reuse Containers at selected Recycling Centres offer members of the public the opportunity to donate items which are in a reusable condition for passing to Reuse Organisations.
Please note that the general public is not allowed to remove any items from the Reuse Containers.
Online Exchange Networks
Sometimes there are items that a charity shop or reuse project wouldn't accept but that are still usable for something. This could be some leftover DIY materials, a much-loved comfy chair which has lost its fire tags but still could be used by someone (or someone's pet), unwanted flower pots, chipped or mis-matching crockery which would be great for an upcycler. The list is endless.
Items like these can be offered (or requested) for reuse via Online Exchange Networks such as Freecycle, Freegle and the free section of Gumtree. It's easy to register, post an advert of a few words, an approximate location and wait for responses via your email account.
For social distancing, you don't need to meet the person collecting the items unless you want to: instead, you can leave the items in your front garden or on your driveway, or you can arrange to meet in the car park of a supermarket.
Community reuse projects
In Perth and Kinross, we actively encourage community participation in waste related projects:
Below are some of the Perth and Kinross reuse projects:
- British Heart Foundation - Furniture Shop at Inveralmond Retail Park, Ruthvenfield Road, Perth
- Perth College WEEE Centre - refurbishes computers and other electrical equipment before selling them on for reuse at affordable prices
- Perth Nappies and Slings - promotes and supports the use of reusable nappies
- PUSH at their Charity Shop on South Street and at their Reuse Furniture Warehouse on Lower Friarton Road
- Remake Scotland - based in Crieff; a creative recycling, reuse and education charity which benefits children and young adults and is run by a committee of volunteer Trustees
- Salvation Army Furniture Reuse Project - located at the Riverview Business Park in Perth
- Starter Packs Perth - located in Perth to divert good quality household items from landfill for reuse
- Strathmore Vintage Vehicle Club - rescues unwanted items (including tools) from a bygone age which can help to preserve local transport heritage and divert reusable items from landfill
- Various Bike Recycling Projects collect the bikes from PKC Recycling Centres and The Bike Station Perth accepts unwanted bicycles in good condition during their Donation Fridays (10am - 4:30pm).
- Transform Furniture Project - located on South Street in Perth
- Wisecraft - an arts and crafts project based in Blairgowrie which uses unwanted materials, particularly wood and textiles
For further information about the Perth and Kinross Network of Charity Shops and Reuse Projects, please telephone 01738 476476 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.