Mobile navigation

Cost of living advice - money and other debts

Cost of living bill support animation

Benefits support and advice

The Council's Welfare Rights Team is there to ensure that the residents of Perth and Kinross are not missing out on their entitlement to benefits and other related help by providing a free, confidential and impartial benefits advice and information service.  The Team helped to put an additional £1.4m in the pockets of people in Perth and Kinross over the last year.

If you need advice about your benefits you can use their online referral form or refer yourself (or someone else) to the Welfare Rights Team using their Online Form.

Watch the short video below to find out more about the support the Welfare Rights Team can provide for you.

Crisis grants

The Scottish Welfare Fund is a discretionary scheme administered by local authorities which aims to provide a safety net in an emergency through the provision of crisis grants.

You can apply for a grant online. To find out more visit the Scottish Welfare Fund - Community Care Grants and Crisis Grants page or call the Scottish Welfare Fund Team on 01738 476900 (option 2).

Scottish Child Payment scheme

If you are the parent or carer for a child aged under the age 16 and you are in receipt of certain benefits you may qualify for Scottish Child Payments of £25 a week.

You can visit the Scottish Government website to find out if you are eligible for a payment and to apply.  The Parent Club Scotland website also has information on benefits for parents and families.

Free school meals and clothing grants 

Free school meals are offered to all pupils in P1 - P5.  If your child is older you may be able to claim free school meals if you are claiming certain benefits. You may also qualify for a school clothing grant for your children. Call 01738 476200 for more information or view the free school meals and clothing grants page. 

Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit

You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction if you are liable for Council Tax. If you also rent your home, you may also get Housing Benefit. Please contact us on 01738 476049 to check your potential entitlement or view the Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit page.

If you are looking to discuss payment arrangements for your Council Tax please contact Local Taxes on 01738 477430.

If you would like to check you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to please contact Welfare Rights on 01738 476900 (option 1).

Young Scot

Young Scot have information for young people on financial support and Young Scot discounts.

Gypsy/Traveller community

MECOPP (Minority Ethnic Carers of Older People Project) is providing support for members of the Gypsy Traveller community. It is running a Financial Resilience Helpline, where advisors help community members find and access all the benefits they are entitled to. Contact Alex Hendrikson 07931 555 390. 

Citizen's Advice Scotland

Citizen's Advice Scotland (CAS) offers personal, one-to-one advice and information on employment, housing, debt, benefits and consumer issues like energy bills.

Their helpline - 0808 196 9440 - is open 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday.

CAS has also launched The Money Map - an easy-to-use online service you can use from the comfort of your own home. It offers information on how to increase your income via benefits and grants, as well as how to save money on things like council tax, energy bills and other daily living costs such as food, clothing and utilities. It also provides budgeting support, to help you take control of your financial situation.

Perth has its own CAS service that can provide a wide range of money, benefits and debt advice. You can contact them by calling 01738 450580, emailing them or by visiting the Citizen's Advice website.

National Debtline

National Debtline is a charity that provides free and independent debt advice over the phone and online. Its website features a Cost of Living hub with the latest information and advice on the help available, and you can also have private web chat with an adviser. You can also call them on 0808 808 4000.

Christians Against Poverty

Information and advice can be found by visiting the CAP UK | Money and debt advice website or by calling the debt helpline on 0800 328 0006.

Worrying About Money?

If you are struggling to make ends meet advice and support is available.

Last modified on 06 February 2024

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon