Recycle your household paper, cans, cardboard, cartons and rigid plastic packaging
Please use our waste and recycling collection date finder to find out if your property receives a dry mixed recycling (blue bin) collection service.
What can I recycle in my blue bin?
- Newspaper, magazines and junk mail
- Office paper, shredded paper and envelopes (including windowed)
- Directories, catalogues and books
- Non metallic gift wrap
- Food and drinks cartons (e.g. Tetra Pak)
- Cardboard packaging and food sleeves
- Toilet and kitchen roll tubes
- Greetings cards
Tins and cans
- Food and drinks cans
- Pet food tins
- Aerosol cans
- Biscuit and sweet tins
- Metal jar lids
Plastic bottles and containers
- Tubs, trays and punnets
- Yoghurt pots
- Shampoo and detergent bottles
- Plastic drinks and sauce bottles
- Plastic bottle tops
Trading Standards Advice - Protect your identity
Before you recycle documents which contain your personal information, please remember to shred them. In particular protect your account numbers, passwords, PINs, signatures, date of birth and your name and address.
Visit our What can be recycled section for hints and tips on how to reduce, reuse and recycle even more of your household's waste.
Correct presentation of wheeled bins
Make sure your wheeled bin is put out at the agreed location by 7:30 am on the day of collection, and returned to your bin storage point by the end of the day:
- Do not contaminate your recycling bins
- Do not place plastic bags in either of your recycling bins. Plastic bags will be treated as contamination, and may result in your bin not being emptied
- Do not overfill your bin and ensure that the lid is closed
- Do not put out additional waste or recycling next to your bin as this is not permitted and will not be uplifted. Excess waste and recycling can be taken to your local recycling centre.
For more information on presenting wheeled bins at the kerbside, refer to the Waste Presentation Leaflet [217Kb] leaflet.
Additional or replacement bins
You can request an additional blue bin or a replacement bin if your blue bin is lost, stolen or damaged.