The Dementia Cafe is a monthly gathering where people with dementia, their family, caregivers and friends can be together in a safe, welcoming environment, in the company of other caregivers.
The Dementia Café is a group for people who are able to attend safely on their own, or who are accompanied by someone to support them.
Volunteers and health and social care professionals are available for the purpose of emotional support, advice/guidance and opportunities for social interaction.
Perth & Kinross Health and Social Care Partnership have developed a new and innovative approach to dementia care. Our view is simple - the person with dementia has a right to continue living life as they have always done, for as long as possible.
The Dementia Café offers:
- people living with dementia and their carers an opportunity to spend quality time together and with other people in similar circumstances to their own;
- acceptance and recognition of the difficulties that dementia poses for people;
- a therapeutic (in the widest sense) culture in which people can talk openly about their problems should they wish to do so;
- reduced social isolation for people with dementia, their carers and families;
- peer support and relationship-building between people who attend the café;
- information about dementia, ways of managing and coping with it and wider support available to people by services in the community.
When a relative, friend or someone you directly care for is experiencing symptoms of dementia, it's good to know that neither you - nor they - have to work alone to meet the many challenges.
"In the outside world there is little recognition of the fact that both the person with dementia and those close to them are going through a grieving process" Dr Bere Miesen, founder of the original Alzheimer's Café concept.
Our Dementia Café offers exactly what it promises; a light, bright and positive environment where there's room to relax in the company of people who find themselves in the same situation as you.
The Dementia Café is held on the first Wednesday of the month at:
North Church Hall, 209 High Street, Perth, PH1 5PB, between 10:00am and 12:30pm.
For further information please contact:
- Andy Bennett, Carer Support SCO. Telephone: 01738 474566
- Shona Burton, Community Mental Health Nurse. Telephone: 01738 414564
- Diane McLellan, Social Work Assistant. Telephone: 01738 476831.
If you're interested in getting involved in helping at the Dementia Café, volunteers are very welcome. To find out more please get in touch with Andy Bennett, contact details above.