Mobile navigation


Residents and visitors to Perth can take the opportunity to fish on one of Scotland's best salmon and trout rivers.

The Council manages the allocation of fishing permits along the town waters of the River Tay.  View the  Perth town fishing beats (PDF) [1MB]  for details.

Scotland has no state fishing licensing system (unlike England and Wales).  However, it is a criminal offence to fish for salmon without legal right or written permission, and generally a civil offence to fish for other species. Shrimp and prawn fishing is illegal on the River Tay.


To purchase day or seasonal permits, please download and complete an application form, complete and email it back to us at with a photo and the supporting documents, or post to the address shown below.  Once the form has been returned to us, we will contact you to arrange payment.

Daily permits

A Daily Permit is available to all anglers, regardless of their home address, including visitors to the area. For Spring fishing (January - June) this costs £10.00 and for Summer fishing (July - October) this is £15.00. No discounts to the day permit are available.

Seasonal permits

Seasonal permits are only available to residents of Perth and Kinross.

Fish availability and season dates

  • Early Spring - Salmon Fishing
  • Early Summer - Brown Trout and Sea Trout
  • Summer salmon and grilse fishing throughout to runs of heavy back-end salmon during the autumn


The season runs from 15th January to 15th October inclusive (excluding Sundays - there is no Sunday salmon fishing in Scotland).

Our Salmon permits offer exceptional value for money.  The Tay is a big water and a good cast is often required!  In the right water conditions the fishing can be exceptional as the salmon will hold here before running the river.

Brown Trout

The season runs from 15th March to 6th October inclusive.

Permit typeMember typeCost
Residents of Perth Burgh (must have a permanent address in the Perth Town Wards) or members of the Perth and District Angling Association (PDAA) who reside within 15 miles of Perth BurghAdult£18.00 (inc. VAT)

Juvenile (Under 17 years of age)

£9.00 (inc. VAT
Resident of Perth and Kinross outwith Perth Burgh (have a permanent address in the Perth and Kinross Council area situated outside the Perth Town Wards)Adult£36.00(inc. VAT)

Juvenile (Under 17 years of age)

£18.00 (inc. VAT)

Statutory Conservation Regulations 2015

In 2015 the Scottish Government introduced regulations which require the mandatory release of all salmon caught in the Tay system January 16 January - 1 April. It is a therefore a legal requirement during this period.  However, the Tay District Salmon Fisheries Board recommendation is that all salmon & grilse should be released from 15 January through until the end of the season.  For more information on the new Regulations and to view the River Tay Conservation Code, please visit the Tay District Salmon Fisheries Board.

Frequently Asked Questions

What information do I need to bring for a seasonal application?

Each applicant is required to provide proof of address (e.g. a current service bill, bank statement, council tax or rent book, Firearms Licence) and two passport size photographs.  Children may not always have proof of address; in this case proof can be accepted from the parents accompanying them at the time of application.  If applying for a Seasonal Permit under PDAA membership, you will need to provide your membership number.

Can I fish without a permit?

Yes, If the fisherman wishes to catch salmon, sea trout or grilse they must hold either a day or season permit.  A permit is not required however if the fisherman only wishes to fish for brown trout or roach, but fisherman should be advised that they have to collect a 'roach fishing only' stamped map and a good practice guide from Pullar House, alternatively these documents could be posted out.

I would like to fish for more than one day.  Are there permits for this?

Perth city residents can apply for a season permit to allow fishing on more than one day.  If the applicant is not entitled to a season permit a day permit must be issued and date stamped accordingly for each day of fishing.

Where can I fish?

Fishing is authorised for all users on the town banks of the River Tay along the North Inch to the Harbour and at small bays along the Dundee road.  Season permit holders are also authorised to fish from the town side of Moncrieff Island.  Fishing is prohibited from the Harbour edge.  A map can be provided on request and is included in application packs.

Further information

Please consider our water safety advice before taking access near water.

For further information, please call 01738 475000 or email

Last modified on 10 January 2024

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon