Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or a disability if you're aged between 16 and State Pension age.

What is Personal Independence Payment?

  • Personal Independence Payment is made up of two components:
    • a Daily Living component and
    • a Mobility component.
  • Each component has has two rates - a standard rate and an enhanced rate.
  • You'll need an assessment to work out what you could get. 
  • Personal Independence Payment isn't affected by income or savings, it's not taxable and people can get it if they are in or out of work.

How to claim

You need to phone the Department for Work and Pension (DWP) on 0800 917 2222 in order to make a claim.  Someone else can do this for you if you are unable to use a phone.

If you have a hearing impairment, you can register your claim by sending an email to The email should include your full name and title, address and postcode and should include the phrase "Please send me a PIP paper claim form". 

Personal Independence Payment Self Assessment

Take the online Personal Independence Payment self assessment to see if you could qualify.   

Please contact us using the details below if you require advice.

Text PIP PKC followed by your name and contact number to 60777 to discuss if you qualify for icon Personal Independent Payment [214Kb].

Personal Independence Payment components, rates and weekly amounts (April 2020 rates)

ComponentStandard rateEnhanced rate

Daily Living





If you are already getting Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for people who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over.  You'll continue to get DLA until the DWP)writes to you to tell you when it will end and invite you to apply for PIP.  You can use the PIP checker to find out if and when you'll be asked to claim.

If you are 65 years and over

If you are aged 65 or over on or before 8 April 2013, you don't need to claim Personal Independence Payment and will continue to get Disability Living Allowance as long as you satisfy the conditions of entitlement.  

What happens if I you have been turned down for Personal Independence Payment or the award is less than you expected? 

Contact details

Welfare Rights Team

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476900 (Option 1)