Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Benefits for sick or disabled people and carers

If you are sick, disabled or caring for someone who is, you may qualify for certain benefits.

Unable to work due to illness or disability?

If you are an employee, you could get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you have been off work for more than 3 days in a row.  This can be paid for up to 28 weeks.  

If your SSP has ended, you are self-employed or you don't have an employer, you may be able to get new style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and/or Universal Credit

A Work Capability Assessment will be carried out to assess your limitations. 

If your illness or disability was caused by an accident or disease at work, you may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.  

Disability benefits for people in or out of work

If you are under State Pension age and have a long-term health condition or disability, you may qualify for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). This can be paid to you whether or not you are working and it isn't affected by income or savings. 

If you are State Pension age you could get Attendance Allowance instead. 

Disabled child?

If you have a child who has a disability or a long term condition/illness, they may be able to get Disability Living Allowance.

If you are responsible for a child or young person who receives Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence Payment) it can increase the amount of Universal Credit or Tax Credits you are entitled to.

If you are responsible for a child or young person up to the age of 18 who receives the highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance you may be entitled to Child Winter Heating Assistance.

Caring for someone?

You could get Carer's Allowance if you are looking after someone who gets either:

  • the middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • the daily living component of Personal Independent Payment
  • any rate of Attendance Allowance

Sometimes claiming Carer's Allowance can impact on the disabled person's benefits. Seek advice before claiming.  

If you are aged 16-18 and caring for someone you may be entitled to the Young Carer Grant.

Cancer diagnosis?

There are a range of benefits you may get if you have a cancer diagnosis.  You can contact our Macmillan Welfare Rights service for advice and information tailored to your individual circumstances. 

Terminally ill?

There are special rules that apply to some benefits if you have a terminal illness. This allows benefit to be paid faster and at the highest rate. These are Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, new style Employment and Support Allowance, Personal Independence Payment  and Universal Credit.

Turned down for benefit?

If you have been turned down for a benefit or have received a decision that you are not happy about, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again. This is called a mandatory reconsideration. If the decision is not revised in your favour, you can appeal against the decision. 

Making a complaint

If you are unhappy with the service you receive in relation to your benefits, you may want to consider making a complaint.

Contact details

Welfare Rights Team

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476900 (Option 1)