Mobile navigation

National Entitlement Card and Free Travel Passes

The National Entitlement Card (NEC) can be used across many different services including as a bus pass, library card and Young Scot card. The national travel scheme provides free bus travel Scotland-wide for older people, disabled people and under 22-year-olds.

The National Entitlement Card (NEC) in Perth and Kinross delivers the following services:

  • Free bus travel for Under 22s
  • Free or concessionary travel for 60+ and disabled people including mental health conditions (mental illness, mental disorder and personality disorder)
  • Young Scot (if you are aged 11 to 26 your card carries the PASS hologram and Euro Under 26 brand giving proof of age and local, national, and international discounts)
  • Schools (all PKC secondary schools issue an NEC for cashless catering)
  • Library (use your card at your local library or at school)
  • Voluntary proof of age
  • If you are aged 16-18, or a full time volunteer under the age of 26 the Young Scot NEC gives a 1/3 discount off the adult single fare on most local and long-distance buses in Scotland and also discount on rail journeys and season tickets.

Online services

You can access the following services online:

  • Apply for a new under 22s bus pass  
  • Apply for a new over 60s bus pass ( application can be made 2 weeks before 60th birthday)
  • Apply for a Young Scot card  
  • Apply for a new disabled bus pass  
  • Apply to renew an expired / expiring card  
  • Request a photo update  
  • Request a replacement card

Apply online

The online service is run by the Improvement Service and enables Scottish residents to apply for and manage their card entirely online through Once your application has been processed your NEC card will be delivered to your home address. 

We will not be able to deal with enquiries for applications submitted online, you can track the progress of your application at

Other ways to apply

If you are unable to apply online, you can download and complete an application form (Word doc) [48KB] and return this along with copies of supporting documents.

If you require a paper copy of the form to be posted out or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Customer Service Centre by phone:  01738 475000 or  email:

Free bus travel for under 22s

The website provides lots of information including how to apply.

AgeApplication optionsParent or guardian to apply
0-4 year oldsBus travel is free for under 5sn/a
5-15 year olds

Primary school - Parents Portal 

Secondary school - 

A parent, guardian or carer must apply on behalf of a child or young person who is aged 5-15 years


16-21 year olds

Apply online - or 

Download free bus travel onto your existing NEC card using the Transport Scot Pass Collect app 


If you cannot, or do not want to apply online, you can download the required form:

Lost, stolen or damaged cards

You can request a replacement card if it is lost, stolen or damaged by emailing or calling Customer Service Centre on 01738 475000 and providing the following information:  Full name, home address and date of birth.

  • Please note - If the card being replaced is used for free school meals or is linked to a library account the new card will need to be taken to the school and/or library to be coded to these services.

Renew an expired or expiring card

Individuals with a disabled or companion entitlement (+1) card must provide current entitlement proof when card is due to expire.  Renewal can be done online using link above under 'Online Services' or entitlement proof documents can be emailed to

Documentation must be dated within the last 18 months and confirm the length of benefit entitlement.

Last modified on 12 September 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon