Mobile navigation

Benefits and bereavement

Find out what bereavement related benefits you may be able to get.

Funeral Support Payment

If you are on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you're arranging, you may be able to get a Funeral Support Payment.   


You can upload evidence in support of your application for the Funeral Support Payment to Social Security Scotland.

Bereavement Support PaymentYou may be able to get a Bereavement Support Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017.
Statutory Maternity Pay/Statutory Paternity Pay

If your baby is stillborn after 24 weeks pregnancy or if your baby is born alive, even just for a brief moment, and then dies, irrespective of the number of weeks.

A stillbirth occurring in Scotland must be registered within 21 days.

If your baby is stillborn before 24 weeks pregnancy other assistance may be available and individual advice should be sought by contacting Welfare Rights.

Sands, the stillbirth and neonatal death charity, provides support for anyone affected by the death of a baby.

War Widow's/Widower's Pension

War Widow's/Widower's Pension is a tax-free pension you may be entitled to if your wife, husband or civil partner died as a result of their service in HM Armed Forces or during a time of war before 6 April 2005.  

Armed Forces Compensation Payment

Armed Forces Compensation Payment is a tax-free pension you may be entitled to if your wife, husband or civil partner died as a result of their service in HM Armed Forces or during a time of war after 6 April 2005.   

Universal Credit

If you are making a new claim for benefit (including help to cover rent or mortgage costs) or if you are in receipt of certain benefits and you have a change in circumstances then you will have to make an application for Universal Credit.
Pension Credit

You could get Pension Credit if you have reached the State Pension Credit qualifying age and your income is low enough. 

Housing Benefit

(for people of State Pension age only)

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you're on a low income.

Council Tax Reduction

You could get Council Tax Reduction to help you pay your Council Tax if you're on a low income.

Bereavement ScotlandInformation around support for bereavement.

Turned down for benefit?

If you have been turned down for a benefit or have received a decision that you are not happy about, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again. This is called a mandatory reconsideration. If the decision is not revised in your favour, you canappeal against the decision. 

Making a complaint

If you are unhappy with the service you receive in relation to your benefits, you may want to consider making a complaint.

Other available help

Perth & Kinross Council provides a Tell us Once service which means that  other council services and government departments will be notified when you register a death. 

The Money Advice Service has useful information on how to cope with a drop in income after your partner dies. 

Last modified on 06 April 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon