Mobile navigation

Benefits for Ukrainian refugees

Benefits information for Ukrainian refugees

If you are working-age and need to make a claim for benefit you should claim Universal Credit (UC).

Before making your claim you will need to:

  • Create an email account
  • Open a bank account

Our website has further information on how to prepare for UC.

You apply for Universal Credit online.  If you are entitled an amount will be paid in respect of a single person/couple and each dependent child or qualifying young person. Universal Credit may also cover the cost of rent if certain criteria is met.

If you are living in temporary accommodation or supported accommodation then you will need to claim Housing Benefit to cover the cost of your rent.

In order to work you will need a National Insurance number.

If you are responsible for dependent children or qualifying young people then you should make a claim for Child Benefit.  You may have additional benefit entitlement if you are responsible for a child.

Depending on your circumstances you may also be entitled to:

If you are State Pension Age and have no or a low income you may be entitled to Pension Credit.

If you have rent liability you may also be entitled to Housing Benefit towards the cost of your rent.

If you have health problems you may be entitled to Attendance Allowance.

All Ukrainian refugees are exempt from Council Tax.

For tailored benefits advice you can refer yourself (or someone else) to the Welfare Rights Team using our online form and we will contact you.

Verifying claimant Identity - Claimants arriving from Ukraine

Where a Non UK national arriving from Ukraine makes a claim to UC standard evidence requirements apply, passport etc.

Claimants without sufficient Identification (ID)

Where you do not have sufficient evidence to verify your ID a centralised team within Department For Work and Pensions will decide what evidence may be considered. This may include an IS116 form issued by the Home Office or an official identity document.

Biometric Residency Permit (BRP)

All non UK nationals evacuated from Ukraine will need to apply for a BRP within 90 days of entering the country. If you have a BRP this may be used as ID. If you have not yet received your BRP, the Home Office will advise you as to which post office you can collect it from when it is issued. There will then be a follow up Further Evidence Interview within 3 months for you to take your BRP into the Jobcentre for verification.

Being turned down for benefit

If you have been turned down for a benefit or have received a decision that you are not happy about, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again. This is called a mandatory reconsideration. If the decision is not revised in your favour, you can appeal against the decision

Last modified on 14 December 2022

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon