Mobile navigation

New style JSA and new style ESA

Find out if you could be entitled to new style Job Seeker Allowance (NS JSA) or new style Employment and Support Allowance (NS ESA)

These benefits have replaced Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance (CB JSA) and Contributory Employment & Support Allowance (CESA) for people making new claims for benefit. Those already in receipt of CB JSA and CESA will continue to be paid these benefits so long as they continue to be entitled.

Benefit can still be paid based on National Insurance contributions now that Full Service Universal Credit has been rolled across the whole of Perth & Kinross however they are now called new style ESA (NS ESA) and new style JSA (NS JSA). They can only be topped up with Universal Credit (UC) and not legacy benefits.

You will need to have paid enough National Insurance contributions in specific tax years (usually two out of the last three) in order to qualify for NS JSA or NS ESA. If you do satisfy the contribution conditions, you will receive a flat-rate benefit payment for yourself only.

  • NS JSA and NS ESA are not affected by savings and they are not affected by your partner's income or earnings.
  • NS JSA and NS ESA do not include any benefit premiums.
  • NS JSA and NS ESA do not include any extra amounts for a partner (if you have one), or for children or for help towards housing costs. In order to get these extra amounts, you will have to claim and be entitled to Universal Credit.
  • NS ESA is time limited to 365 days (52 weeks) unless it has been decided that you have limited capability for work-related activity (LCWRA).

If you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions to qualify for these benefits you should make a claim for Universal Credit.

Claim new style JSA

You can claim NS JSA online or by phoning 0800 055 6688.

Unlike UC, payments of NS JSA are made fortnightly.

Claim new style ESA

If you have an online UC account you can get in touch with your work coach or case manager about applying using your online journal.

Alternatively you can apply for NS ESA online or by phoning 0800 055 6688.

Unlike UC, payments of NS ESA are made fortnightly.

Last modified on 14 December 2022

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon