Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Advance Universal Credit payments

Find out how to request an advance UC payment

Is there any help available while I wait for my first Universal Credit payment?

You will have to wait a minimum of 5 weeks before you receive your first payment of UC.

If you are receiving Housing Benefit, income-based JSA, income-related ESA or Income Support, and either choose to claim Universal Credit, or a change in your circumstances means you need to claim Universal Credit instead, you may receive up to an additional 2 weeks' worth of those payments.

You can ask for an advance payment of UC at your initial Universal Credit interview and this can be up to 100% of your estimated UC award (including the rent element).  You will only be paid an advance once your identity has been verified by the Jobcentre.  If you've already had your interview, you can ask for an advance payment through your UC Journal or by phoning the Universal Credit Helpline on 0800 328 5644 (Textphone 0800 328 1344). Any advance payment is in the form of a loan and will be paid back via deductions from your ongoing UC entitlement.

Please note that Universal Credit Advance can be paid into a friend or relative's account but on-going Universal Credit can only be paid into a bank, building society, credit union or similar type of account in your name.  If you do not have a bank or credit union account information on opening one can be found on our How to prepare for Universal Credit page.

You can also apply for a crisis grant if your UC advance does not last you until your first UC payment.

Making a complaint

If you are not happy about the service you have received from Universal Credit including how you have been treated, mistakes that have been made, unreasonable delays or not being kept informed you can complain online.

Contact details

Welfare Rights Team

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476900 (Option 1)