Mobile navigation

Severe Disability Premium (SDP) - You could be missing out!

If you were entitled to an SDP within a month before your claim for UC, you may be entitled to an additional element within your UC payment.

An SDP is a premium paid within Income Support, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance and Housing Benefit.

You will qualify for an SDP if:

  • You get Personal Independence Payment daily living component, Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance middle or higher rate care component, Constant Attendance Allowance or Armed Forces Independence Payment and
  • No one aged 18 or over lives with you and
  • No one is paid Carer's Allowance, or has been awarded the carer element in their Universal Credit claim for looking after you.

Applying for SDP transitional payments

There is no one formal way of applying for these additional payments and/or lump sum amounts. DWP should accept requests via online journal, letter, phone call or face-to-face with Work Coach.

Any backdated/lump sum amounts will be disregarded for capital purposes for 12 months.

If you were only entitled to an SDP in Housing Benefit and no other benefit you will not be eligible for any SDP transitional payments.

SDP transitional payment rates

Single Claimant:

  • £120 a month if Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA) included in UC amount.
  • £285 a month if no LCWRA included in UC amount.

Joint Claimant:

  • £405 a month if SDP paid at couple rate.
  • £120 a month if only one entitled to SDP and UC includes LCWRA.
  • £285 a month if only one entitled to SDP and UC does not include LCWRA.

As the payments are transitional they will reduce over time and can reduce or end through changes in circumstances.

Last modified on 26 August 2021

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon