Mobile navigation

Carer's Benefits

There are benefits you may be able to claim and other support available if you are caring for someone.

Carer Support Payment

You may qualify for Carer Support Payment if you spend 35 hours a week or more looking after someone who is getting Attendance Allowance, the Daily Living Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), the middle/highest rate Care Component of Disability Living Allowance, the middle/highest rate Care Component of Child Disability Payment or the Daily Living Component of Adult Disability Payment.

  • You must be aged 16 or over.
  • You do not need to live in the same house as the person you care for.
  • Carer Support Payment is not means tested and you do not need to have paid National Insurance contributions.
  • You may not be able to get paid Carer Support Payment if you receive certain overlapping benefits but it may still be worth claiming to get underlying entitlement.
  • Payment of, or underlying entitlement to Carer Support Payment gives you entitlement to an extra amount within certain means tested benefits.
  • It can sometimes affect the benefits of the person you look after if you receive Carer Support Payment.
  • You cannot get Carer's Allowance if you earn more than £139 per week after tax/National Insurance.

How much is Carer Support Payment?

From April 2023, the rate of Carer Support Payment is £76.75 per week.

Carer's Allowance

Carer Support Payment has replaced Carer's Allowance in Perth and Kinross.

If you already receive Carer's Allowance, you do not need to do anything and will be transferred over from February 2024 onwards.

Carer's Allowance Supplement

Carer's Allowance Supplement (CAS) is an additional payment paid by Social Security Scotland to those being paid Carer's Allowance or Carer Support Payment. CAS is paid twice a year. There is no application process. The payments will be paid automatically via the same method as your Carer's Allowance or Carer Support Payment.  There are two qualifying dates on which Carer's Allowance or Carer Support Payment must have been paid, further information can be found on the Scottish Government website (opens new window)

Carers benefits

If you have a low income you may be entitled to an additional premium/element or addition in your existing benefit or if you're only in receipt of Carer's Allowance or Carer Support Payment you may be entitled to Universal Credit (UC) and/or Council Tax Reduction.

Get further information about Carer's Allowance and Carer Support Payment such as the overlapping benefit rules, underlying entitlement and the Carer Premium. 

Young Carer Grant

The Young Carer Grant is a new yearly cash payment of £359.65 for 16-18 year olds which carers can spend as they choose. Young carers can claim if they are at school, in further education, employed or unemployed and may be eligible if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • they live in Scotland
  • they are 16, 17 or 18 years of age when applying
  • caring for an average of 16 hours per week, over a 13 week period
  • care for someone normally paid a qualifying disability benefit
  • they have not applied for or receive Carer's Allowance
  • they are not paid or volunteer to care

You can upload evidence in support of your application to Social Security Scotland.

Help with Council Tax

If you live with the person you care for your Council Tax liability may be reduced because:

  • You care for the person (please note no carer disregard can be applied if you care for your spouse/partner).
  • The person you care for has a severe mental impairment.
  • The house you live in has been adapted in a way that would reduce your Council Tax band.

For more information: Difficulty paying your Council Tax

Short breaks for carers

You may also be entitled to some time off from your caring role.

For more information: Short breaks for carers

PKAVS Carer's Hub

PKAVS Carer's Hub can provide information, advice and support to carers on a range of things that may affect you including your rights as a carer, Power of Attorney/Guardianship and more. The Carer's Hub provides support for carers from as young as 8-years-old.

Other information for carers

The Coalition of Carers in Scotland (CoCiS) have information on what to expect when caring for someone.

Last modified on 20 November 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon