Flytipping is the illegal dumping of rubbish in places where it shouldn't be
What is flytipping?
Flytipping is a serious environmental crime, it is also an eyesore that can cause harm to wildlife, pets and livestock. It scars our landscapes, clogs drains and pollutes the environment costing the Councils, farmers and private land owners across Tayside thousands to clear up every year.
We will need information about the location of the flytipped waste, the type of waste, and the date it was first observed. Alternatively, you can contact the Customer Service Centre on 01738 476476.
How to dispose of waste responsibly
If you have waste or unwanted items that don't fit in your kerbside bin, here are your options:
- If your items are still in a good reusable conditions, then why not donate them to a local reuse organisation or list them on a selling site such as Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree - you might even make yourself some money! Visit our reuse pages for more information
- Get rid of your household waste for free at your local Recycling Centre
- For a fee, you can arrange a Special Collection for bulky items
- If you are a business or organisation looking to dispose of waste or recycling at a Recycling Centre, you are required to register for a Commercial Waste Permit. If you are interested in the services and support we can offer your business, our Commercial Waste and Recycling Team will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Using private contractors to uplift your waste
Private contractors can also offer collection services, but please make sure you check the following with them:
- Check they are registered with SEPA as a Waste Carrier
- Always ask for a receipt showing what was collected, the date and where your waste is going so if items get dumped you can prove it wasn't you that did it
Any reputable contractor will have no problem providing this information. If they cannot provide this, do not allow them to take your waste. Remember, services that sound too good to be true often are and lead to your waste being illegally flytipped or disposed of by other illegitimate means.