Mobile navigation

Registration of food businesses

Registration of food businesses is required by law and allows the Council to keep an up-to-date list of all those businesses and associated premises in the Perth and Kinross area so they can be visited or contacted where necessary.

Anyone who operates a food business that sells, cooks, stores, handles, prepares or distributes food must register their establishments with the Council at least 28 days prior to opening. If you have multiple units, you will need to register each separate outlet.

There is no charge for registering a food business and no renewal is required at any time other than to notify the Council of any modification to the business operation.

Which businesses need to be registered

Registration applies to most types of food business including:

  • Restaurants
  • Hotels
  • Cafes
  • Shops
  • Supermarkets
  • Staff canteens
  • Kitchens within offices
  • Warehouses
  • Guest houses
  • Catering businesses run from home
  • Mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans

If you are unsure whether your business needs to be registered, please phone the Customer Service Centre on 01738 476476 or email

How to register

Complete and return the application below and return to Perth & Kinross Council, The Environment Service, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth  PH1 5GD.

Once registered

Once registered you will be placed on the awaiting inspection list and an officer will carry out an inspection in due course.

Last modified on 21 January 2022

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon