Mobile navigation

Conservation areas

A conservation area is an area of special architectural or historic interest, judged to have special character by virtue of their particular arrangement of the townscape, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.

To note, Blair Atholl Conservation Area is located within the Cairngorms National Park Authority boundary however, for planning matters, we consult with this National Park Authority when necessary to do so. Also, St. Fillans Conservation Area is located within the Perth & Kinross Council boundary however all matters relating to conservation are managed by Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, who designated the conservation area.

Conservation area appraisals are guidance documents which highlight the special needs and characteristics of an area. So far we have appraised Aberfeldy (PDF) [5MB] Abernethy (PDF) [7MB] , Blair Atholl (PDF) [5MB] , Blairgowrie (PDF) [6MB] , Cleish (PDF) [176KB] (opens new window) Comrie (PDF) [9MB] Coupar Angus (PDF) [25MB] , Crieff (PDF) [6MB] , Dunkeld (PDF) [6MB] , Dunning (PDF) [5MB] , Errol (PDF) [4MB] , Grandtully & Strathtay (PDF) [3MB] , Inchture (PDF) [7MB] , Kenmore (PDF) [6MB] , Kinross (PDF) [7MB] , Longforgan (PDF) [4MB] , Muthill (PDF) [5MB] , Perth Central (PDF) [10MB] , Perth Kinnoull (PDF) [6MB] , Pitlochry (PDF) [21MB] , Rait (PDF) [4MB] and Scotlandwell (PDF) [4MB] conservation areas.

You can check whether a property is located within a conservation area via our interactive map.

Are there any restrictions on development?

Conservation areas may have an Article 4 Direction, Regulation 11 Order or conservation area appraisal in place. An Article 4 Direction or Regulation 11 Order can restrict certain types of 'permitted development', and as such would require planning permission. Conservation area appraisals are management tools which inform about the special needs and characteristics of the area and assist in the formulation and guidance for development proposals. They serve as supplementary guidance to the and assists in Development Management.

'Permitted' development

Article 4 Directions and Regulation 11 Orders are additional controls for specific classes of development and advertisement, respectively, which would otherwise be regarded as 'permitted development', i.e. development that does not require planning permission. Directions can cover a variety of minor works and might include the replacement of doors and windows, the erection of gates, fences, garages, sheds, porches, storage tanks or the installation of satellite antennae.


Many buildings in a conservation area, whilst not listed, contribute significantly to the character of the conservation area. Demolition of an unlisted building within a conservation area will require Conservation Area Consent if the building is more than 115 cubic metres in volume. 


All trees are protected from pruning, lopping or felling. Before any work can be undertaken, we as the planning authority must be notified; we then have six weeks in which to make a decision on the proposed tree works. A Tree Preservation Order may be imposed in order to protect the tree or trees if considered to be of substantial merit to the conservation area.

How do I apply?

You can apply online via the portal. Further information about what we would expect to receive as part of a submission can be found in our Application Checklist section.

If in any doubt as to whether conservation area consent or planning permission is required, you can engage in pre-application advice.

Last modified on 16 August 2022

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon