Mobile navigation

Private tenants - advice and support

Information on tenancy agreements, and tenant responsibilities.

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract that sets out the terms and conditions of a tenancy between landlord and tenant. In most cases, the landlord is legally required to provide a written tenancy agreement. A common exception to this is where a tenant lives in the landlord's home as a lodger - in this case, a verbal agreement is sufficient. 

If you move in to a private tenancy after 1 December 2017 your landlord is legally required to give you a Private Residential Tenancy agreement which should be provided in writing.

Further information on the new Private Residential Tenancy agreement, view the private / residential tenants guide.

What's in a tenancy agreement?

The agreement should cover:

  • The length of the tenancy (if issued before 1 December 17)
  • The amount of the rent as well as the frequency, method of payment and the method used to calculate any rent increases in the future.
  • Who is responsible for internal decoration and internal & external maintenance.
  • Any condition or restriction on the use of the property.

The tenancy agreement must adhere to the landlord and tenant's rights and responsibilities.

Tenant responsibilities

As a private tenant, you have certain responsibilities connected with your occupation of the property, such as:

  • To occupy the property as your principal home
  • To pay your rent in full and on time
  • Not to cause damage to the property, fixtures, fittings or furniture belonging to the landlord
  • To consult your landlord before making any alterations to the property. (Written permission should be obtained)
  • To report the need for any repairs to the landlord
  • Not to cause disturbance, nuisance or annoyance to neighbours
  • To allow the landlord access to the property for the purpose of inspections or carrying out repairs when sufficient notice has been given.
  • To obtain written permission from your landlord if you intend to sublet or take in a lodger
  • To give proper notice to your landlord when you wish to leave the property

Landlord responsibilities

Landlords have a number of requirements to fulfil. There is information on the Get Set to Let Guide

Finding a property

Perth & Kinross Council works closely with local landlords to improve the opportunities for residents to find suitable accommodation in the private rented sector.

The Council offers an innovative social letting agency scheme called  PKC Lets. This offers letting, property and tenancy management services to private sector landlords. Properties which are available to rent through PKC Lets are advertised on our PKC Lets Facebook page.

Cost of Living Support for Private Tenants

Tenants in a private rent who are struggling to pay their rent due to the rising cost-of-living may be eligible for a payment from our Tenant Grant Fund.

First Tier Tribunal

The First Tier Tribunal (Housing and Property Chamber) can help Scottish tenants and landlords resolve their differences.  All rented properties must meet the repairing standard at the beginning of the tenancy. It is then the tenants' responsibility to inform the landlord should the property drop below this standard during the course of the tenancy.  The First Tier Tribunal will hear disputes on rents, repairs and access for landlords to their properties as well as helping to resolve disputes that arise between homeowners and property factors.

From December 2017 it will also start to hear more private rented sector cases - including the new letting agents' regime, transfer of jurisdiction from the sheriff courts and new private tenancies.

If you have a dispute with your landlord that you have not been able to resolve, you can apply to the tribunal using forms found on the Housing and Property Chamber website. 

There are different forms depending on whether your dispute relates to rent or repair issues.

Last modified on 12 September 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon