Street naming and numbering

Perth & Kinross Council is responsible for allocating street names and numbers to any development within the Perth and Kinross area in accordance with the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

The address of a property is increasingly becoming a very important issue.  It affects many different people, including residents, developers and service providers.  It is in everyone's interest that all statutory address details have been finalised prior to occupation, providing an efficient means of locating and referencing properties.  This allows the emergency services to be contacted, allows utilities to provide services, ensures the relevant public bodies can be informed promptly and facilitates the delivery of goods and mail.

Apply for street naming and numbering

Apply for street naming and numbering online

Alternatively, please contact if you require assistance.


Charges for the provision of the Street Naming and Numbering Service was introduced on 1 April 2016.  View the icon street naming and numbering policy [83Kb].

Street naming and numbering charges from 1st April 2018:

Numbering of new single properties (Section 2)Cost
1 Property£59
Numbering of new multiple properties (Section 3)Cost
2-5 Properties£111
6-10 Properties£133
11-25 Properties£175
26-50 Properties£286
51-100 Properties£435
101-150 Properties£817
151-200 Properties£981
201+ Properties



New developments (Section 3)Cost
Naming of a new street£206

Renumbering a new development

Addresses which have already completed the statutory street naming and numbering process.

1-10 Properties £59
11-25 Properties£175
26-50 Properties£286
51+ Properties£435


Existing property (Section 4 and Section 5)Cost
Naming or renaming a property£59


Confirmation of addressesCost
Confirmation of an existing address (eg solicitor or private enquiries)£32

For any enquiries or please call 01738 476511 or e-mail  Please note that the charges are based on a 'per site' basis, rather than on an individual property by property basis, so we would expect that an entire site is registered at the same time, rather than individual properties within a larger site as this will ensure a consistent approach is adopted to naming and numbering sites.

When should the Street Naming and Numbering Officer be contacted?

The Street Naming and Numbering Officer should be contacted once planning permission is granted and building has commenced or if a property owner wishes to rename a property. The SNN officer should be contacted immediately if any amendments are made to the site layout of a development with existing planning permission.

New development

The developer should contact the Street Naming and Numbering Officer, once planning permission is granted and building has commenced.  Full contact details, layout plans and floor layout for each level of sub-divided properties should be supplied.  If a new street name is required, developers may suggest names along with background information on the reason for their choice.  Street names should not duplicate existing names in the same area.  The final decision for street names lies with the Council.

Naming of a property

The property owner should complete the SNN form and submit this with all relevant plans by emailing or post.

If you wish to name a property which has already been allocated a number, the number must remain part of the official property address.

Renaming or renumbering streets and buildings

In some cases, it may be necessary to re-number or re-name streets or properties. This may be required if;

  • New properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new properties.
  • There is confusion over a street's name and/or numbering and this is causing problems for residents, delivery of services or the emergency services.

Existing residents will be contacted and their opinions taken into account.  The Royal Mail is also consulted for their view on the issue.  This is a very time consuming and possibly disruptive process and is only undertaken after careful consideration taking into account public safety and benefit to the residents.

Postcode allocation and address distribution

Perth & Kinross Council supply the official address to the Royal Mail in order to request a new postcode.

After an address has been approved and registered with the Royal Mail, Perth & Kinross Council will also notify Tayside Valuation Joint Board, Police, Fire, Ambulance, Scottish & Southern Energy, British Gas, British Telecom, Ordnance Survey, The District Valuer, and the General Register Office for Scotland.

Street nameplates

The Council is responsible for repair and maintenance of street nameplates when this becomes necessary, due to accidental damage, vandalism or normal wear and tear. 

In the case of a new development, the developer is responsible for the erection of nameplates to the Councils' specification.

To report damaged, missing or illegible street nameplates  please call CLARENCE on 0800 23 23 23 or email

Contact details

Street naming and numbering

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476511