A Metal Dealer Licence is required for carrying on business as a scrap merchant.
How much does a licence cost?
The application fee payable depends on the length of licence that you want. A one year metal dealer licence is £219 and a three year metal dealer licence is £291.
- The fee for a one year itinerant metal dealer licence is £128 and a three year licence is £194.
- The fees change every year so check with the licensing office before you send payment.
How do I apply?
If you have difficulty applying online please contact the Licensing Department on (01738) 475180.
What happens if the Council fails to make a decision on my application within 9 months?
The licence will be granted or renewed.
From 2 October 2023, the government will introduce new tax requirements for certain licences. This is supported by a new digital service, developed by HMRC. It helps people in the taxi, private hire and scrap metal industries to complete a new tax check.
Most people are registered to pay tax and this is about ensuring everyone pays the tax they should, creating a level playing field for the compliant majority. The check should take a few minutes every few years and is simply to confirm that someone is appropriately registered for tax.
The new rules mean if you're an individual, company or any type of partnership you must complete a tax check if you're:
- renewing a licence
- applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that stopped being valid less than a year ago
- applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority
You will need to complete a tax check if you are applying to renew a licence for one of the following:
- mobile (itinerant) scrap metal collector
- scrap metal dealer site
You will not need to complete a tax check and you should follow the confirm your tax responsibilities guidance if you have:
- never held a licence of the same type before
- had a licence of the same type that stopped being valid a year or more before making this application
Visit gov.uk to register an account and complete your tax check. Once you have completed the check you will be provided with a Tax check Code. This code must be entered on your application to renew one of the licence types listed above.
Please refer to the tax check factsheet so you understand what is required as this will apply to all renewals and new applicants.
If you have any further questions, see changes for taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence applications from 2 October 2023