Benefits for working age people

If you are out of work, or in work and on a low income, you may qualify for certain benefits or tax credits.

Benefits for people in work

You could get Working Tax Credit if you or your partner are working enough hours each week and your income is low enough to qualify.  If you have children you may also qualify for Child Tax Credit.  

Find out if you are eligible by using the Tax Credits Calculator.   

Benefits for people looking for work

If you are looking for work, you may be able to get Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA).

There are two types of Jobseeker's Allowance - contributory JSA and income-based JSA - the type you get depends on whether you have paid Class 1 National Insurance contributions and your income and savings. 

You will need to sign an agreement to look for work.  This is called a Claimant Commitment.  If you do not keep to your claimant commitment, your benefit may be sanctioned.

If you are single and have no dependants, you may be required to claim Universal Credit (UC) instead. 

Benefits for people in work or out of work

If you have children, you could get Child Tax Credit

If you are liable to pay the Council Tax for the home you live in, you may be able to get Council Tax Reduction.  If you are responsible for paying rent on the property you live in, you may be able to get Housing Benefit.  The amount of Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit you can get depends on your income, how much Council Tax/rent you have to pay and who else is living in the house.  

If your income or capital is too high to claim Council Tax Reduction, you may be able to make a claim for second adult rebate instead.  You might be entitled to Second Adult Rebate if you have a second adult living with you who is not your partner and who has a low income or is on certain benefits.

There are other  Council tax discounts and exemptions that you may also be able to apply for.  These discounts are based on your personal circumstances and do not take into account your income or capital.    

Benefits for people with an illness or disability

If your ability to work is affected by illness or disability, you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance

If you have a long-term health condition or disability you may qualify for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). This can be paid to you whether or not you are working and it isn't affected by income or savings. 

What if you don't agree with a benefit decision?

If you have been turned down for a benefit or have received a decision that you are not happy about, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again. This is called a mandatory reconsideration.  If the decision is not revised in your favour, you can  appeal against the decision

Contact details

Welfare Rights Team

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476900 (Option 1)